Friday 23 April 2010

Car driving test

It's been almost a decade since I came to the UK and it's been over 9 years since I received my Learner license. In all these years I've never felt missing a car or the urge to take my car driving test. The only time I was seriously preparing for the car driving test was after my marriage. After failing the test with 3 minors and 1 major (left reverse round the corner - went wider than is allowed in a narrow side road), I lost the drive to retry. It's not that I can't drive or something, if I've survived driving in India on city/highway roads then I certainly can drive in real life situations.

With my photo license due for renewal in the next few months, I wanted to give one final try. I contacted my bike instructor and booked classes through 1 Stop Instruction. The problem with me was my comfort in driving as an experienced driver. It took me some time to act like a learner driver. I can tell that it is not easy at all to act like a learner driver. I just wanted to prove the test examiner that I can safely drive a car and no more silly excuses from my end. I took the test in Barking, statistically the worst place to take your car driving test. I've to admit that in some ways I was lucky with the test. There was unusually heavy traffic and it was school holiday time. Due to the traffic we ended up in a "dead-end" road, did a reverse parking and turn in the road and I was back at the test centre after doing a few side roads. I was told I had passed the test with 5 minors - two for undue hesitation, one for dropping a wheel on a pothole and one for gear change (whatever that means), one for slow driving.

After the test, the examiner asked me what motorcycle I'd (after seeing my pink license). I told him that I ride a Gixxer Thou. He was sort of amazed and said "I'm sure you don't drive/ride like you did today". I imagine I've done my best to "impress" him. So there you go, I've proved a test examiner that I can drive safely in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment