Sunday 23 August 2009

First ride on GSXR 1000 K8


It's been over a year now since I rode a litre street bike, my Yamaha FZ1-SA. I'd a great time with that bike. Over the last year, I got so comfortable with it that I decided to go touring with my wife. That was the highlight of owning that machine. I did some riding last winter and lots of miles in pouring rain. After a year and 3750 miles, I thought it was time to switch to a litre supersport bike, Yamaha R1 or Suzuki GSXR 1000 both 2008 models.

I've always been an ardent Yamaha fan. It's certainly due to two factors, one being Grand Prix racing and the other being the then famous Yamaha RX100 (in India). Having said this, the only other production sports bike I liked was the Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD. For some reason, I never had a strong affinity to Honda or Kwaki bikes.

When I decided to buy my next bike, it was a simple choice between the R1 and Gixxer 1000. I know very well that I'll never be good enough to take these machines anywhere near to what they are capable of doing. But it's the pride of ownership and a dream come true more than anything else. If not for the undertail exhausts, I'd have gone with the R1. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to go with the Gixxer Thou.

When I went for my first test ride, I was told that the power/response difference to my current bike would be significant. With the showroom staff around I just went for a very short stroll in the showroom front to have a feel for the bike. I was assured by the staff that I was smooth on the throttle and should not have a problem. I started with the "C mode", where the bike behaved more like a tame 600cc street bike. After a mile or so, I switched to the default "A mode", with full power, and I could find the difference between my FZ1 and this. The throttle response was so much sensitive that I'd to keep an eye on the speedo to keep within the 40mph/64kmph speed limit. Compared to the FZ1 the brakes were phenomenal, perhaps it is due to the significantly lower weight. Every bump on the road was transferred to my shoulders and this was very new to me. I've never felt the bumps on the FZ1. Well, that is what a supersport is supposed to be. I did a few miles on my first ride and I was already getting used to the power and the brakes. I practised a few roundabouts and tight turns just to see how I was coping with the very little movement of the bars.

I just can't wait to get my new bike delivered. I hope to do a few miles before the winter and hopefully will have this bike for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment